Thursday, June 12, 2008

To Austin and Back

The boys and I have just returned from a two-week trip to Austin. Though I could have blogged, for some reason I felt completely uninspired. I also couldn't upload pictures on my mom's computer. I'm sure it was possible--just not for me. Also, funny thing, since my last post, I've discovered that some of my closest family members don't even read my blog. So, I'm assuming, just assuming that some of my other close family members probably don't read it either. Apparently the blogging world is still quite a mystery to some folks, and I guess even a little scary--reading my blog might lead to someone receiving massive quantities of those horrible emails! I was quite surprised when I got home last night and Jeff commented on how I haven't been blogging. So, Jeff, this is for you. I'm inspired again by my wonderful husband, who thankfully isn't so lonely anymore now that we've returned.

Our trip to Austin was refreshing and relaxing after a busy Spring. It was spur of the moment, totally unplanned, and we did absolutely nothing. Well, pretty much nothing. To sum up the trip, we went swimming as much as our fair-skinned, freckled older children could tolerate, and we played games. I finally taught the boys how to play Spades, one of my favorite card games from childhood. We did make a small mistake by letting the inexperienced boys choose to be on a team together opposite the Mom/Grandma team. We tried to play nicely, but we weren't going to just give the game away. After we were winning by 340 points, and tears were almost flowing (it's all related to that darn competitive spirit I've written about before), Grandma and I started letting them in on our secrets a little bit. Hey, they'll never be great at cards if we play too nicely. Isn't life all about being the best card player you can possibly be?

We also spent a wonderful day at the home of some friends where I learned so much about hospitality, order, not complaining, and much more. Our friends, Mark and Cherri, went to our church until 2001 when they moved to New Mexico. They came back to church periodically over the years to visit, and recently they moved to Round Rock, which is very close to the part of Austin where my mom lives. They have seven children, ranging in age from 21 months to 17 years old. I really didn't know them well before, especially the kids, but I had always loved and admired them as a family, so I thought I'd send them an email just to see if they might want to get together. If I had just moved somewhere only three weeks before, I probably would have said it wasn't a good time since I always think things have to be perfect before I can have people over. But, despite their recent move, they were ready and willing to have me over whenever and for however long I wanted. So I was invited to come one morning at 10:30 and didn't leave until 11:00 that night. It was such a fun, completely relaxing day where they fed us two wonderful meals, their kids hung out with our kids, Cherri and I went to Starbucks for a while, and in general, we just chatted with complete peace and quiet for pretty much the whole day. At the end, they were inviting us to spend the night or at least come back the next day, or any other day if we wanted.

While I was there, Cherri was making plans with other people for the following day, and then inviting different people for dinner for that same night without even thinking twice about. I definitely make way too big of a deal out of having people in my home and thinking things need to be perfect. In the end, I've learned, it's all about relationship, both with other people and with the Lord, and not about how great, or not-so-great, my house is or about all of the things I could be doing with MY time. I learned so much from Cherri about letting the Lord rule your day and not being led by your own schedule and plans, or boxes needing to be unpacked, etc., etc. I'm sure Cherri had plenty of other things she could have been doing that day, but she made me feel like I was her plan and she had absolutely nothing else in the world to do that day.

It was also such a blessing to watch all the kids, especially how they operated during meal time. The older ones helped the younger ones, including Eli, without being told to do so, and no one complained if they didn't have the perfect place to sit. I just picture each one of the kids smiling. It seems like they all smiled the whole day, and each one, at different times, chatted with me. It was just so fun to see all of their personalities and finally get to know all of them more personally. I especially enjoyed chatting with Elizabeth, the oldest, which was like having a conversation with someone my age. On second thought, maybe it was like having a conversation with someone older than my age.

If anyone wants to actually be jealous of a family with so many kids instead of dreading the thought of it, spend a day with our friends. I'm sure things aren't perfect on a day-to-day basis, but the day I was there, I heard not one complaint, or whining, or fighting, etc. Mark and Cherri have done a wonderful job raising their children, and I'm sure they would give God all of the glory. My visit there was a huge, huge blessing, and no doubt one of those ordained days God will provide to teach you about Himself through other people.

I just love vacations. They're always so introspective for me, and I usually come home ready to make some changes that I didn't even know I needed to make. Unfortunately, I also came home with a couple of nine year-old boys who think Mom wants to play games all of the time. I do plan on making more time for that, but maybe not quite as much time as they're hoping! Better go teach them some good two-player card games!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Welcome home! Though I've never known them particularly well, I've always been drawn to that family as well!