Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ride of a Lifetime

Just in case any of you were on the edge of your seats wondering if we won the grocery store dash, well, we didn't. I was actually a bit relieved that I didn't have to spend a week planning our approach and agonizing over the thought of becoming the first person in history not to grab a single item in one of those crazy events. I'm sure Jeff and the boys would have done fine, but there's no telling what they would have grabbed while I stood frozen in my indecision and anxiety. The truth is, I still don't operate well under pressure.

Someone noticed that I left Jeff and Eli out when talking about the "winners" in the family. Astonishingly enough, just yesterday they won a ride on an African elephant!



O.K. Just kidding. The truth is that we went to the Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie yesterday and Eli really wanted to ride the camel, or well, maybe he really wanted to ride the elephant. So, after standing there watching the elephant eating grass out of people's hands for several minutes, we finally decide to shell out the $4 apiece for Jeff and Eli to take their ride of a lifetime. In the meantime, a woman and her son have gotten on and the attendant tells us they like to pack the elephant as full as possible for the rides, so up go Jeff and Eli onto the back seat. I snap a quick, somewhat blurry picture as they are leaving, hoping to get a much better picture on their way back around (the whole time I'm quickly trying to think of how I can get a picture of just Jeff and Eli, but still show they are on an elephant--of course, they just happen to be closer to the backside). I wait until the best photo opportunity when they come around again, but, unfortunately, they stop back at the beginning after making a very small circle in the grass and spending, literally, probably less than a minute actually moving on the elephant. This poor, overworked elephant then comes back to the side to eat grass out of people's hands once again. Now, that was money well spent.

Just for fun, here are a couple of other pictures from our day (taken by the boys):




Seriously now, this is Eli on the carousel ride, as they called it:



And the boys being instructed on how to handle themselves in a duel:



Our trip to the festival was in celebration of concluding our study of the Middle Ages in school, and what an interesting end it was indeed.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

ok...so I remember going to this as a child...all I remember is a half horse half man and I am scarred for life. It seriously took the better part of my life to figure out that is wasn't real! And did you guys see the zonkey...or is it donbra???

Tammy said...

I vaguely remember someone mentioning a "zonkey", but there are so many unusual sights and sounds at the festival that it's hard to process everything. I love how all the folks dressed as various medieval characters just start talking to you (in their accents, of course) as you're passing by. I'm just thankful we didn't have any of the interestingly dressed women bend over and chat with the boys, if you know what I mean.

Shannon said...

I always wanted to go there as a child, but with 5 kids and all, my parents always said it was too expensive. After Crystal's comment, perhaps I should be thankful! (But I still really want to go next year anyway!)